Bird ponderings on an Evening in Stockholm

Sometimes at dusk I like to ponder my day while watching the sun go down.

This was a recent sunset in Stockholm. Probably around 4pm.


At this time many birds are going home to roost for the night.

Very quietly.

Unlike in Australia where you are surrounded by many different varieties of birds in all seasons all making a racket.

They’re everywhere. Screeching and squawking away their time.

It's fantastic.

Plant a eucalypt and watch them come.

Crimson Rosella. The brilliant colours of the parrot family are unmatched in my book. Photo by Noel Hart

However, in Sweden we do have the bouncy little blue tits (no it doesn't sound good in english) and a whole host of other birds such as the beautiful white swans (knölsvan/sångsvan ).

But sometimes walking through the forest it's difficult to spy many birds at all.

 The Blue Tit coming in for a landing.

White swan (knölsvan) taking off.

However the Blue Tits (blåmes) are everywhere at the moment, clustering around many bird feeders all over Stockholm.

I bought one large feeder full of peanuts (I thought they ate insects and seeds but what do I know. Apparently they like the occasional beer too.) last week and by the end of the week those tiny tits had eaten 650grams of peanuts.

The greedy buggers.

So now I'm rationing the food everyday as I love having them around.

Magpies


One bird that is around the whole year is the Magpie (or Skata in swedish) which always reminds me of Australia. It's very similar to the Australian Magpie and it stalks around with absolute confidence eating anything and brightening up a dull day.

Skata (European Magpie) 

Under Christianity in Scandinavia, as in the rest of Europe, people changed their original beliefs about the Skata from lucky to unlucky.

In old Norse mythology, Skadi (the daughter of a giant) was a priestess of the magpie clan.

The black and white markings of the magpie were seen to represent sexual union, as well as male and female energies kept in balance.

Later on in time, Scandinavians thought that magpies were sorcerers flying to unholy gatherings.



 Australian magpie.

They look similar don't they?

The Australian Magpie is a Shrike rather than of the Crow family though.

The female magpie will attack you if you're anywhere near her nest. Especially if you're on a bicycle.

People paint faces on the back of their bicycle helmets to trick the birds.


 Common swedish birds

Some very common swedish birds you can see outside your window.
Blue Tit (Blåmes)
Great Tit (Talgoxe)
House Sparrow (Gråsparv)
Wren (Gärdsmyg)
Blackbird (Koltrast)
Fieldfare (Björktrast)
Magpie (Skata)

Read more about swedish birds here.

Blackbird. (Male) Sweden's national bird. Photo by PetSam





Comments

  1. Hi, I can´t see any pictures, have they disappeared in some way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for telling me Monica. I changed some settings in Picasa and didn't realise this affected the blog. It's back to normal now. I won't be changing anything again. I nearly accidentally deleted the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures! Fun to see my home country through the eyes of an foreigner..
    I'm a foreigner myself, in Greece.
    Have a nice Advent tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Eva. I'm waiting for the snow to start up here. It's taking its time. God Jul in Greece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts