Snow white in Stockholm




Recently the snows started falling in Stockholm and the landscape's been transformed into a snow paradise. It's absolutely magical waking up and looking out the window and seeing snow falling. I suppose if you've lived in cold countries it's no biggie. But for a hot climate person it's fantastic. Like a fairytale. I don't think I'll ever get used to it.





Going out with snow falling and strong wind is quite an experience too. My daily walk was going to continue, snow or no snow. Last winter after having a few painful and embarrassing experiences slipping over in the snow covered streets, I got some decent walking shoes. So walking was fine. But it’s your face that’s the worry. I had the unpleasant sensation last time of not being able to feel my nose as it was almost frozen with minus 10C temperatures. So I got my walking gear and hat on and off I went. Well it was only minus 3 today so what's the big deal? It was kind of exciting and scary at the same time. And of course there's no one around so it's one of the few experiences where you can almost feel you're the only person alive. If you want to feel that, that is.

But after walking for about 10 minutes I chickened out and went home to the warmth. But not before taking some photos.
The weather bureau’s predicted heavy snow’s and blizzards for the rest of the week, so that will be interesting.





Comments

  1. I have all the right gear for the rest of myself for the Swedish winter, but what am I supposed to do for my face? I have the same problem, but I have to keep walking, since I am walking the dogs (who don't seem to mind the cold at all). I am thinking about getting a ski mask or something, but I haven't actually seen any here. Surely they must exist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes antropologa I know what you mean. I just wrap a scarf over my nose. But ski masks is a good idea. Though no-one seems to wear them around here. I presume you can get them in ski shops but I haven't looked into it. I'll have a look around the shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally blog with valuable informations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the guy riding his bike in the snow picture. He is braver then I. I would fall for sure doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks connie. Yes plenty of people do fall here I've heard. But a lot of people still ride their bikes in the snow. I suppose they just get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks anonymous. Come back again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks cold. The light on the last picture is interesting. We get wind direct from Siberia here (yes, in France!)and it's having a cold face that really gets to me.

    I presume people still go to work; they can't take the whole winter off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes it is cold. I think it was -13 yesterday. The cat's still desparate to get out into it though. Though she's taken to sleeping in the bathroom which has heated floors as well as a wall heater. So she's happy. It's ok to walk in for a short time-half an hour. After that you really have to have the right clothes on. Tights underneath your jeans etc. Yes I read about the wind in Arles in the Van Gogh book. Is that true? I can take the cold but not the wind, so I sympathise. The light in the last picture is the true light too. No photoshopping. It was just a very calm, grey day. It was actually beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wind in Arles is the 'Mistral' which is a French wind which blows non-stop when it gets going. I haven't been that far south yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Anji it sounds like a place you might want to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, very interesting post, greetings from Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting anonymous. Looking forward to some sun in Greece next year I hope.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts